Apple as tonewood?

Wood selection sound-boards, backs, sides, necks and trim
gilles

Apple as tonewood?

Post by gilles » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:31 am

A local apple orchard is cutting down a bunch of trees in the next year or so. I approached them about acquiring some of the wood before it is chopped up for firewood. Hopefully I would like to get one of the bigger trunks to use for tonewood and, as a beginner, I would like to get advice from the wise and experienced luthiers on this forum.
I would hope to have some wide enough for backs and sides, and if not, maybe fretboards or binding.
I am in Eastern Canada, and would hope to eventually build guitars from solely local woods...
The varieties are Macintosh and Cortland.
Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Herman

Re: Apple as tonewood?

Post by Herman » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:10 am

Hee Gilles, Why not? Apple is a softer hardwood and is considered a tonewood. I think, if you treat it as an equivalent of Walnut, you will be fine. The combination with Red Cedar could be a winner. George Lowden thinks he made the best guitars with Cedar/Walnut.
As a fingerboard it will be too soft. As binding it could be used, if enough appealing color or figure in it.
And if too narrow, make a three piece back. Think Martin HD35.

FWIW: I could make a great guitar with apple, if it is "proper" wood. Quatered and defect free.
Go for it. The orchard may contain trees with great colors and streaks.
Herman
For example:
Last edited by Herman on Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:21 am

If it looks anything like the example and is big enough (even for a 3 piece back) I would go for it.

gilles

Post by gilles » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:21 pm

Am I right in assuming that only the sides need to be quartered?
Wouldn't a back be just as good if it were rift or flat-sawn, if braced properly?

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:09 pm

gilles wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:21 pm Am I right in assuming that only the sides need to be quartered?
Wouldn't a back be just as good if it were rift or flat-sawn, if braced properly?
There are flat-sawn backs, but they are not as stable (respond more to humidity) I only use quarter sawn backs.