Purfling boo-boo

Wood selection sound-boards, backs, sides, necks and trim
peter havriluk

Re: Purfling boo-boo

Post by peter havriluk » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:13 pm

I had this problem on one of mine. My purfling was 1/16" square, and I glued in a strip on top of the sink and when the glue dried I planed and scraped back down to level. Can't see where it was done. I'm much happier using layers of purfling instead of fillers.
Peter Havriluk

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:46 pm

:-)
-Under permanent construction

Carl Dickinson

Post by Carl Dickinson » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:46 pm

Gluboost is the brand name of a line of CA glues. Their accelerator works great w/ no blushing. Gluboost.com. I've cut some inlay pockets too deep, inserted the inlay anyway, then filled with thick CA. When sanded/buffed out it looked like the other inlays.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:01 pm

Thanks Carl.

Has anyone tried the black CA?

Carl Dickinson

Post by Carl Dickinson » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:21 pm

Yes, I have. Most of my fingerboards and inlay I make out of some of the old, big Manzanita off of the property here. The fingerboards are a darker red and some of the inlays have been the white edge wood. The black CA leached into the edges of the light inlay. Probably would be OK in ebony or if the pocket and inlay was sealed with shellac. It did work quick and clean on a Rosewood peg head.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:39 pm

It's a bit difficult finding straight-grained Manzanita, I would think. I've looked at a few trees around here wondering if it would be worthwhile milling some of their wood; it is lovely stuff.

Carl Dickinson

Post by Carl Dickinson » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:22 pm

Yes, the stuff that is straight and long enough for fingerboards and binding is hard to get but I've been clearing 13 acres here for many years now to get it back for the wildfire that will eventually come so there's a lot to choose from. Of the last four logs I took to the bandsaw to cut open, only one had a few 1/2"x3"x32" pieces that might work. Plenty of pieces for bridges and peghead veneers though and the burls have great material for rosettes.