How thin back of Granadillo?

Wood selection sound-boards, backs, sides, necks and trim
peter havriluk

Re: How thin back of Granadillo?

Post by peter havriluk » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:45 am

I don't think a light guitar can be made of heavy wood. Like John says (my paraphrase), accept reality. I want to use a heavy wood, I'm going to get a heavy guitar. That's what neckstraps are for.

I made and I'm playing a cherry guitar (body, neck) with ebony trim. If it was a boat, it would ride low in the water. Sounds nice.
Peter Havriluk

Herman

Post by Herman » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:24 pm

Well Peter, I think you nailed that. Heavy will remain heavy. I have to rethink that for my crossover build.
Thanks
Herman

Jim Ebert

Post by Jim Ebert » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:44 am

Thanks John and Peter for the nice comments about my guitar. I did not intend to go as thin as I did and was a bit concerned when I realized I had over thinned a bit. But after the near disastrous failure of my vacuum clap hose which lead to the 3 foot fall to the concrete floor with only minor damage to the binding, I was convinced that the thickness was not a problem. Luckily I caught it on the first bounce. I was completely blown away by the fact that the guitar did not shatter into pieces. By the way, I really do love the sound of this guitar. It has a very solid tight sounding bottom end while still being nicely balanced through the mid and upper ranges. Well worth the extra weight.