Re-topping a Mauel guitar

Wood selection sound-boards, backs, sides, necks and trim
Dave Bagwill

Re-topping a Mauel guitar

Post by Dave Bagwill » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:37 pm

You may remember that 2 years ago my niece Jamie managed to get to the back of the house where she did not belong, sit in a chair, lean over backward, spilling her and her chair into the top of my 000-12 Hank Mauel guitar that I've owned since 1989.

Irreparable. So today I removed the top - the neck is fine, so is the body, the bridge is okay, and I saved most of the braces.
Pix will show the neck joint, the brace configuration etc.
Nothing really startling - it WAS glued TIGHT - just perfectly glued.
But - The braces are all 3/4" tall. And thin.
That's right. All of 'em except the scalloped portion.
At the X - 3/4" braces.
Finger braces - 3/4"
Tone bars - 3/4" - and short, too.
40' radius top, 15' back.
That x-joint is almost exactly 90 degrees.
Attachments
DSC00588.JPG
DSC00588.JPG (118.96 KiB) Viewed 626 times
DSC00587.JPG
DSC00587.JPG (120.2 KiB) Viewed 626 times
DSC00586.JPG
DSC00586.JPG (171.28 KiB) Viewed 626 times
DSC00585.JPG
DSC00585.JPG (185.67 KiB) Viewed 626 times
DSC00584.JPG
DSC00584.JPG (130.28 KiB) Viewed 626 times
-Under permanent construction

John Parchem

Re: Re-topping a Mauel guitar

Post by John Parchem » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:48 pm

Yes retop and make a great guitar. I am amazed that the kerfed linings in good shape.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:34 am

I may try that type of neck attachment. It would save doing the threaded insert thing, and just seems more secure in a way. Worth a try.

The top was .108" thick consistently, except the lower bout around the rim - .091" consistently. The top was WRC, and that thinness surprised me.

The kerfing notches for the braces were somewhat inconsistent, and the notches for the lower bout legs of the X were not cut closely at all. That may have been on purpose; a sort of de-coupling move. Or just a little sloppy.

I've given a good look inside two boutique guitars now - Mike's custom Goodall and now Hank's guitar - and there is no magic. They look just like what we do. Really good gluing practice, nothing slipshod. Both looked a little overbuilt to my eye, but they knew what they were doing.
The height of Hank's braces did surprise me.

Herman

Post by Herman » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:41 pm

Looks good Dave,
Maybe their vision was to use a very thin top and a bit heavier bracing.
The tops of the scalloped braces seem needlessly high IMO.
Was it a great guitar? I vaguely remember it was.
H

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:47 pm

The tone bars are tall with deep scallops, but if it had a good tone, you could use the same braces as they look good. I would replicate the top with WRC. They have the WRC about where I would have. Were you able to save the rosette? You can turn the project into a vintage restoration.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:11 pm

When Hank shipped the guitar to me, he included a very specific note, to the effect that the top flexed quite a bit more than he was expecting, and that I should use light strings and light picking. At the end of the note he restated; "Remember, Dave, light picking!"

And under those conditions it sounded very good. But - anything a bit aggressive in finger plucking, or any other gauge strings than very light, and the guitar was very 'nasally' if you know what I mean. An unpleasant spike in the 250-800 hz range.

I'm thinking that Hank starts out with taller than needed braces and takes them down according to tapping or whatever testing he uses, like a lot of us. And this one sounded good to him at this brace height. So many ways to approach bracing.

The rosette had to be sacrificed. I have a very nice European spruce top that I'll glue up and use instead of WRC since I don't want to buy anything if I can help it.

Herman

Post by Herman » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:30 pm

European? Nice!