Storing wood sets

Wood selection sound-boards, backs, sides, necks and trim
coonhollowgreg

Storing wood sets

Post by coonhollowgreg » Sat May 02, 2020 7:52 pm

Hi guys, I spent the last couple of years buying wood for my retirement. I have 12 sets of really beautiful stuff that is still in the shipping packaging. My shop is 65rh and I'm looking for a air conditioner for summer comfort and humidity control. I don't want to shell out for a dehumidifier unless the ac doesn't control it. Would it be safe to unpack the wood or should I wait? I have a lot invested so I'm seeking some advice from those of you who are knowledgeable on the subject. Thanks in advance, Greg.
( I have a bunch of figured maple, black walnut, and mahogany that been exposed but it is all 1"and thicker lumber It seems to be ok.)

John Parchem

Re: Storing wood sets

Post by John Parchem » Sun May 03, 2020 12:39 pm

I live in a pretty good area with regard to indoor RH all year long. You air conditioner is basically a dehumidifier. The other side is in areas that get very cold, heating the air can drastically drop the indoors RH. It is important to keep both somewhat controlled. As the wood has already been dried there is no need to sticker it. I just have organized stacks of wood in my shops storage area. I do not think there is an issue unpacking the wood.

coonhollowgreg

Post by coonhollowgreg » Sun May 03, 2020 4:28 pm

Thanks John. I live just down I-5 from you, in Roseburg Oregon. I lived all around the Seattle area, my dad is still in West Seattle. I mainly was on the peninsula until I came down here.. The humidity in the summer really gets high (90%+) so I think the ac might take it to 50% or a tad lower. It's about 60% or so in the spring. If I can control it through the summer I will build a climate controlled closet to store the cut sets and any build I'm working on. It's an old shop so insulation is not that great. I wish I could put a furnace in but that will have to wait until my wife gets over me spending all my money on wood. Lol.

Herman

Post by Herman » Tue May 05, 2020 12:10 pm

Hi Greg,

John is right. There is no reason to keep the bought wood in a package. If it is dry you can keep it unstickered indeed. So do not worry about that.
The humidity on the other side is an issue. If possible, invest in humidty control.

Let your lovely wife read this:
GREG NEEDS PROPER HUMIDITY CONTROL!!!

It works so much better and reliable if the moisture is stable and under control.
greets
love to the misses.
Herman

coonhollowgreg

Post by coonhollowgreg » Tue May 05, 2020 5:12 pm

Thanks Herman. I just sold a swamp Cooler so I am looking for a dehumidifier now. I have a couple of months before it is ac time. The wife is glad the swamper is going so I get to keep the cash for the shop. It makes sense to use a dehumidifier to stabilize the humidity. It was 65% one day and 35% a few days later. Hopefully I will have the bender and forms finished by the end of the week so I can slice up some mahogany for a test run. I'll be asking you guys lots of questions about things so I won't be a stranger. The wife got a chuckle when I showed her your post. Always good to keep her happy. šŸ˜Ž

peter havriluk

Post by peter havriluk » Wed May 06, 2020 1:01 am

Time for a wood-storage expert to speak up. And for sure that ain't me. OP mentioned he's going to cut up some mahogany and give his tooling a test. Out of ignorance I'm wary of slicing up back/sides/soundboards on one day and building with them the next. Would the wood be more likely to behave itself if it was allowed to acclimate for some while after cutting, like stickered for months not hours?
Peter Havriluk

Herman

Post by Herman » Thu May 07, 2020 12:05 pm

Peter has a point.
Wood with figure or with cross grain can have a lot of tension in it.
After sawing the pieces can bend in a stange way.
As Peter wrote, let it sit for a while and do not cut it too thin. 'Cause it may need some cutting/sanding due to some warpage. (Is warpage english?)
Herman