What neck wood for walnut OM body...

Wood selection sound-boards, backs, sides, necks and trim
Rangerdave1

What neck wood for walnut OM body...

Post by Rangerdave1 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:06 pm

I am starting a black walnut OM build and I am trying to decide on neck wood. I have plenty of very nice quartered black walnut suitable for a neck but have been considering a maple neck too. i am a bit concerned about the heavier maple making it a neck heavy guitar, especially because of the smaller OM body..

Any thoughts or suggestions, previous experiences?
Attachments
IMG_2795.JPG
IMG_2795.JPG (221.43 KiB) Viewed 887 times

John Parchem

Re: What neck wood for walnut OM body...

Post by John Parchem » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:03 am

I think maple would be a fine choice for a neck. I do not consider an OM to be a small guitar, hard Maple is a bit heavier than claro walnut but not so m much as to affect your decision.

peter havriluk

Post by peter havriluk » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:21 pm

Speaking only for myself, I like the idea of a black walnut neck (maybe laminated with maple?). My most recent guitar was an all-cherry b/s/neck. I love looking at it. And I have a walnut project stacked in the queue, with a walnut neck.
Peter Havriluk

Carl Dickinson

Post by Carl Dickinson » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:35 pm

Recently finished a J200 body style with black walnut B&S (from a board I've had around for 30 years). Neck was laminated figured maple/black walnut, with the center lamination the width of the truss rod from black walnut 'cuz I didn't have a piece the full neck length. Since you have the wood , I agree with Peter to make it bw/m/bw.

Rangerdave1

Post by Rangerdave1 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:12 pm

I have been seriously considering a laminated walnut/maple neck. I think it would help with stability and Also tie in to the binding which will likely be maple.