Tonewood Thickness

Wood selection sound-boards, backs, sides, necks and trim
Nate Peirson

Tonewood Thickness

Post by Nate Peirson » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:54 pm

Hi all, I will be building a 00028 with Sinker Redwood top and Black Walnut back and sides. I picked up the wood a couple years ago and am finally able to get to it. I wonder if anyone has opinions on top (Sinker Redwood) thickness? Also back and side thickness for the Black Walnut. I would love all of your sage advice and look forward to the build.

peter havriluk

Re: Tonewood Thickness - one person's opinions

Post by peter havriluk » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:46 pm

OP might see if he can find discussions of how thick Martin makes their sides and backs. The side thickness is a critical dimension as it controls how easily the sides bend. Too thick for the piece of wood equals broken wood.

The top, well, it depends on how flexible the top is and how it rings when tap-tuned.

Both top and b/s thickness determinations are skilled judgements. I think that cookbook numbers won't give optimum results. The advice and suggestions from a skilled luthier, in person, are necessary to optimize wood thickness.
Peter Havriluk

Tim Benware

Re: Tonewood Thickness

Post by Tim Benware » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:13 am

Nate Peirson wrote:Hi all, I will be building a 00028 with Sinker Redwood top and Black Walnut back and sides. I picked up the wood a couple years ago and am finally able to get to it. I wonder if anyone has opinions on top (Sinker Redwood) thickness? Also back and side thickness for the Black Walnut. I would love all of your sage advice and look forward to the build.
I have built a dozen or so with Sinker Redwood and they have come in between .115 and .120" (.005 to .010" thicker than my spruce tops). I tap them to make my final decision so I guess there is something to that.

I initially thickness my sides to between .080 and .085" (I use a fox style bender), after I am done bending and leveling the sides they are around .070 to .080" in thickness.
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC