Trever

Re: stewart-macdonald scrapers

Post by Trever » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:02 am

Paul McGill taught me that.
Trever Jones

Hans Mattes

Post by Hans Mattes » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:54 pm

I bought StewMac's Original Ultimate Scraper a couple of years ago and liked it so much that I then bought their Rectangular/Concave version. I rarely use my "thin" scrapers any more. The concave side of the Rectangular/Concave is particularly helpful when radiusing a fretboard -- 16". The biggest advantage of the thick Ultimate Scrapers is that they don't require skill. What can require skill is sharpening them, and, as I lack skill in so many arenas, I also purchased their overpriced Mini Grinder for Ultimate Scrapers. It works in the hands of a skill-free user. I know.

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:44 pm

I also use the stwmac scrapers. I always use them when leveling the binding and side joint. The slight curve helps me avoid thinning the top edge of the binding by mistake. I also bought the little grinding wheel from stewmac to sharpen them.

Carl Dickinson

Post by Carl Dickinson » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:19 pm

The mini-grinder is available at Harbor Freight, probably at a much cheaper price.

bftobin

Post by bftobin » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:45 pm

I've got a couple of sets from Lee Valley and they're all over my shop. You never have too many scrapers (and clamps). The thinnest of the bunch, I sharpen on all three sides but don't put a hook (turn an edge) on. It can be used for very fine scraping of hardwoods and to level lacquers between coats. I learned about scrapers first from Bill Lewis in the early 70's and learned about using them to level lacquer from Tage Frids books in the early 80's. I haven't tried the Stew/Mac heavy scrapers that Alan uses, but I met an old Jointer/cabinet-maker from England in the earley 80's who told me if they needed a scraper while out on a job and didn't have one handy, the would break a piece of glass and use that. Necessity created "The Mothers of Invention" (LOL)

Brent