stewart-macdonald scrapers

Hand tools required and/or preferred to achieve a high level of Craftsmanship
peter havriluk

stewart-macdonald scrapers

Post by peter havriluk » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:53 am

Pricy and they look 'interesting' to sharpen. But they're thick...I know little about scrapers. Anyone have any experience with these and whether they represent worthwhile value? I am a bit wary of the source, in among reasonable but expensive tools are some things that look seriously overengineered to me. Left-handed screwdrivers, figuratively speaking.

Thanks!
Peter Havriluk

John Link

Re: stewart-macdonald scrapers

Post by John Link » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:12 pm

I think you are talking about the very thick ones. I have a couple and like them for tight work.
John

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:36 pm

The Carruth scrapers are very good --- work great but sharpening is an acquired skill. That said you can surely live without one.

peter havriluk

Post by peter havriluk » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:09 pm

I'd be very happy to live with a thirty-dollar scraper if it did a job nothing else did. Sounds to me like Ken's saved me thirty bucks.
Peter Havriluk

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:02 am

Peter one of the best small scrapers you will find are utility knife blades. I use them all the time, buy one of those 100 packs, you can throw them away as they dull, or sharpen them with a file and turn a burr. I use them right out of the pack, awesome for scraping down your Bindings and purlings, rosettes back inlay strips, etc. Give them a try, you will gladly give up your next born son to me as thanks. :)

peter havriluk

Post by peter havriluk » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:08 am

Kevin, hidden in plain view - - - I only have two packages of 100 blades, missing a few from each. One package is even resident in my guitar bench drawer. Never thought to use them as scrapers, although I use hobby knives and single-edged razor blades as scrapers. Can't say why I didn't make the association.

Many thanks!
Peter Havriluk

Trever

Post by Trever » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:01 am

2"-3" bandsaw blades work great. Find a local mill that uses them. They will usually give you a damaged one for free. Grind the teeth down level, create burr and burnish; your G2G.
Trever Jones