14 Fret OM Template

Ideas for (DIY) shop made tools -- save money and add to the enjoyment
johnnyg

Re: 14 Fret OM Template

Post by johnnyg » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:52 pm

peter havriluk wrote:I realize it's a bit of confusion chasing these displacement dimensions around and keeping everything synchronized.

Some thoughts:
(1) Is Ken's template used as the shape a body mold conforms to, or is it a projection of the whole 'footprint' of the instrument? That could make a bit of difference in bridge position displaced from the front of the body. One of these might make more sense than the other.

(2) Does Ken mention the scale length on the template? Half that might tell you whether the nut sits flat on top of the neck or on beginning of the slope of the headstock. See above.

(3) Do your scale lengths match Ken's? Martin's long scale can be either 24.82" or 24.9", for example.

Besides all that, it's as easy as pie! Betcha' that some combination of all these considerations will allow using the neck and template together and the nut, 12th fret, and bridge are happy with each other.
(1) I purchased both the template and mold from Ken at the same time. I double checked and the template matches the mold. I also used the template to make the bending form.

(2) The template has a label with the usual build specs. It says the scale length is 25.34”.

(3) The scale length of the neck, as close as I can measure is 25.375. I determined this by measuring from where the nut meets the fretboard to the center of the 12th fret * 2. This very close but not exact to the template’s scale length.

So, is this close enough to just go with the template’s bridge plate placement?
- johnnyg

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:58 pm

It should be close enough for the bridge pad and the xbrace location; I always place the actual bridge based on the actual build. That is with the neck angle correct and if applicable the dovetail is set I measure from the nut to the 12 fret center double and add compensation to determine where the saddle goes.

johnnyg

Post by johnnyg » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:14 pm

Thanks all for the advice. Looks like the template will work without modifications. I will be starting the build this week. I will update as it goes along.
- johnnyg