$14 what the heck?

Hand tools required and/or preferred to achieve a high level of Craftsmanship
ken cierp

$14 what the heck?

Post by ken cierp » Sun May 03, 2015 5:01 pm

This looks like a handy tool for the money -- not necessarily for braces maybe glue clean up. Anybody have one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111395418732

fred m3

Re: $14 what the heck?

Post by fred m3 » Sun May 03, 2015 6:48 pm

hummmm ....
looks like 1 lmi sold years ago ....
yup i have one .
forgive me for not remembering his name , he was know for his kasha guitars ....west coast ...
pretty sure lmi credited him with the design / idea

derf

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Sun May 03, 2015 6:59 pm

Perhaps that listing should really have a disclaimer so I'll post it here: Pictures are for illustration only and not in proportion to actual blade width of 1/4" and overall length of 6"-- I am not familiar with the LMII tool.

John Link

Post by John Link » Sun May 03, 2015 7:15 pm

I have both the tools advertised on eBay - I bought them there. They are convenient for getting into tight spaces, especially on a guitar that has been assembled or on a part that is small. And yes, they are tiny even though the photograph makes them large. Smallness, in fact, is connected to their usefulness.

Richard Schneider, who once lived in Kalamazoo, MI making Kasha-style guitars in his own shop and working as a consultant to Gibson (1970s), designed the other curved chisel that I have. It is large and plain looking and one of the most useful tools I own. I got it many years ago from one of the luthier supply houses . It was not especially cheap then, probably even more expensive now.

The curve in all three makes getting at a lot of the angles I use much easier.
John

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Sun May 03, 2015 11:31 pm

Looks handy, can hardy go wrong for $14. . I have the LMI tool but I just use it to clean soft glue squeeze out along the braces about 10 minutes after gluing.

fred m3

Post by fred m3 » Mon May 04, 2015 9:01 am

Richard Schneider, who once lived in Kalamazoo, MI making Kasha-style guitars in his own shop and working as a consultant to Gibson (1970s), designed the other curved chisel that I have. It is large and plain looking and one of the most useful tools I own. I got it many years ago from one of the luthier supply houses . It was not especially cheap then, probably even more expensive now.
thanks !
that's who i was thinking of .
the one i have i got at an asia symposium many years ago ...